Friday, December 7, 2012

Alien Ripoff: This Trailer is Terrible

by Joe

I just watched this trailer for Storage 24 over at Videogum.com, and holy shit, this is bad.

Before I get into the whole thing, here's the preview:


I really liked Prometheus. I realize a lot of people didn't like it as much, but I would rather not get into the cycle of trying to explain what I think happened in the movie, and how there really weren't all that many plot holes, while people on the other side continue to believe adamantly in the opposite.

  But regardless of how you felt about the movie, one must admit that the trailers they released for Prometheus were impressive. They didn't really show you much, and didn't tell you anything other than the basic plot--that being there are some scientists going to a different planet. I thought the most effective element of those trailers was the strange scream/alarm noise that would pulse, getting louder and louder until the end. It seems that I'm not the only that it made an impression on.

This isn't the first trailer I've seen rip this sound off from the Prometheus trailers, but I can't remember the other one. I guess the reason I'm posted this is because coupled with that sound we see shots that were taken directly from the Alien franchise. Look at the screen shot before you even hit play for the trailer. It looks nearly identical to the most iconic shot from the Alien movies (and it's from the third one, for anyone who cares).


Then there are the face huggers. Did anyone else see the face huggers in this rip-off? I did, and it made me mad. But at the same time I'm reminded that we haven't seen a plethora of cheap knockoffs over the years. It might be that I'm too young to remember and none of the movies that knocked off the Alien movies are worth remembering (clearly), but it seems like people have been fairly respectful of this series. Now that we're going to see a sequel to Prometheus I'm curious about whether we're going to see an onslaught of shitty alien movies coming our way or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment