Monday, July 22, 2013

Am I Wrong About R.I.P.D.?

by Joe


We went and saw R.I.P.D. the other night and loved it. The movie was strange, but not over the top. It was hilarious, but all the jokes had a point. The plot was fairly simple, and I think that worked to its benefit. I'm sick of big budget blockbusters using convoluted plots to try and make the movies sophisticated (see: Pirates of the Caribbean 2 & 3, Oceans 12). From my perspective R.I.P.D. did not do that. Like Pacific Rim they knew what kind of movie they wanted to make. They knew the kind of audience they wanted to see it and they catered it to them. Yet, it is getting destroyed from the critics. As of now, it has a 10% on Rottentomatoes.com.


Am I wrong about this movie? Was Jeff Bridges not downright hilarious? I've read some of the tidbit reviews on the RT website, and not once was I bored or annoyed. The sentimental scenes between Ryan Reynolds (as a Chinese man) and his wife were touching and effective. Or so I thought. I mean, I feel like one of the Americans who loves all of Adam Sandler's new movies. Is this who I am, or are all the critics looking too far into a movie that is in the same category as Men in Black?

Can someone help me out here?

No comments:

Post a Comment