Thursday, August 23, 2012

Films vs Movies: The Eternal Debate

by Joe


I'm here to finally put down in print the debate that has plagued us since the conception of ridiculous action movies and crude comedies. This is the eternal battle that has left us all in no man's land while we grasp at the boots of faceless soldiers. I'm talking about the difference between Films, Movies, and Videos.

I've made a few videos, attempted a short film, and tried to shoot a feature length movie. I'd like to think I know the difference between the three, but I'm sure someone out there on Internet will prove me wrong (and I almost hope they do). It's an (illogical) pet peeve of mine, but it bugs me when my friends say their working on a film, when really it's a five minute mini-movie or video with the only intention of slapping it online. Or when people by tickets to something like The Campaign or Total Recall and say, “I can't wait to watch this film!”

I'd like to point out here, too: I'm not ranking any of these categorizations above another. Just because I call something a Movie opposed to a Film doesn't mean one is better than the other. They just have different outcomes.


There are great Films, Movies, and Videos. Look at There Will Be Blood, The Avengers, and “The Death and Return of Superman” with Max Landis. At the same time we have Crash, The Raven, and the majority of the crap on YouTube.


Videos are quick, cheap and that's the point. Quick and cheap entertainment. Movies are here for the “wow” factor. They are here just to entertain and make the audience smile, so turn your brain off and just enjoy the images in front of you. Film will say something about life, culture, love, or the world. They will try to make you think.

So remember, the next time you try to say Dumb & Dumber is a great film you just look like a dummy.


To better help you understand the difference I've sectioned off a few different Coen Brothers flicks:



FILM:

Blood Simple
A Serious Man
No Country for Old Men
Fargo
O' Brother, Where Art Thou? (mostly due to the
source material.)

MOVIE:

The Big Lebowski
Burn After Reading
True Grit
Raising Arizona



What do you think? 


No comments:

Post a Comment